Chapter 13 - Friend Relationships

 Cross-sex Friendships



I believe that cross-sex friendships can exist without romantic attraction, despite what some people may propose. Due to how a lot of people were raised, they have been taught to segregate themselves by sex, and believe that cross-sex relationships only exist as a vehicle for romantic attraction. In school, boys and girls may be separated into different classes for gym as well as family life. So naturally children would be more interested in being friends with members of the same sex. 

    "In many schools, young boys and girls are placed in separate gym classes, asked to line up separately       for class, and instructed to engage in competitions pitting 'the boys against the girls'" (Reflect & Relate,      p. 362)

    Personally, I have several female friends that are not at all attractive to me, simply because I only see them as friends, and nothing more, and believe that that is perfectly fine and natural. Some of my male friends believe that there is no way for a man to have a friendship with a woman with no ulterior motive, but I disagree entirely. I believe that having friendships with women is also valuable because they can give you relationship tips, among other things, which I find very valuable information. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7 - Active Listening

Chapter 14 - Relationships in the Workplace