Chapter 4 - Experiencing and Expressing Emotions

 Emotional Contagion


An emotional contagion is an event in a social setting, where the people around it start to develop the same emotions. I tend to be susceptible to emotionally contagions because I care a lot about how my friends and family feel. When I come home to my sister feeling down, I will usually empathize with her. And because I start to feel the same way she does, I will ask if she wants to watch a show or a movie with me. In this particular instance, the emotional contagion is beneficial. 

    This is not always the case, however. Sometimes whenever I am playing a competitive online game with my friends, and someone is having a bad game, and is getting frustrated, the rest of us tend to also get frustrated at the game. Luckily, we've recently started to recognize when we are getting frustrated, and we understand when to take a break from the game, and do something else. After we take a break, most of the time we feel a lot better, and can either hop back into a game, or sometimes we do something else. Though that situation is worse, we've learned to make light of things instead of letting it control us. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7 - Active Listening

Chapter 13 - Friend Relationships

Chapter 14 - Relationships in the Workplace