Chapter 14 - Relationships in the Workplace

Downward Communication




I work as a lifeguard at an indoor pool, operating all year, and I am a head guard, meaning I am in charge of the shift, and I have to make sure that my coworkers are all doing their jobs safely and efficiently. I also have to make sure that all of our chores are completed by the end of the shift. A large part of my duties as head guard is instructing my subordinates on how they should conduct themselves. I will also regularly have to ask them to go monitor chemicals and do other chores like emptying the trash or sweeping the bleachers. 

    "Having formal authority in an organization gives you freedom in the messages you use when                     interacting with subordinates, known as downward communication." (Reflect & Relate, p. 394)

    I pride myself in being very efficient and respectful when communicating downward to my coworkers. I have had a lot of practice leading from my journey to Eagle Scout, and I think it has really made my communication in a position of  leadership noticeably better. I have made good impressions on my coworkers, and I am very friendly toward them, so they trust and respect me. Because I have a good relationship with them when we aren't working, then, when we are working, they do not hesitate to do what I ask when I request that they help with some facet of our job. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7 - Active Listening

Chapter 13 - Friend Relationships