Chapter 12 - Family Relationships

 Pluralistic Family



In family dynamics, there are several different types of communication patterns. These determine how the family interacts with each other. All of these patterns are determined by how conversational the family is and its conformity. My family would be considered pluralistic. A pluralistic family is characterized by high conversation and low conformity. A pluralistic family may be more relaxed, but still values maintaining direct communication through conversation. 
    
    " Pluralistic families enjoy debating the issues of the day, and judge one another’s arguments on their        merit rather than on whether they mesh with other members’ attitudes." (Reflect & Relate, p.335)

    My family fits the description of the pluralistic family, because we talk a lot, and have dinner together, but at the same time, my parents are usually pretty relaxed and let my sister and I be more independent. When my sister and I were young, my family aligned more with the "protective" family communication type. As my sister and I got older, however, my parents realized that we became more respectful and enjoyed our parents company more when there was lower conformity. Personally, I believe that this family communication style may be the most effective. More conformity or less conversation could create a more fragile relationship between parents and children. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7 - Active Listening

Chapter 13 - Friend Relationships

Chapter 14 - Relationships in the Workplace